Powered By Blogger

Thursday, October 14

Words, books and more.

Recently, I have started liking autobiographies awful lot, it gives me a whole week or two to be part of that person’s life through their success or failure or both . It makes me want to aspire for a journey like the one they have had; to want to meet the people they have met and just be a part of greater things in life. All of us are not lucky enough to have a EAT.PRAY.LOVE journey in our lives, getting our parents to even hear us out would be a big journey in itself, and the first thing they would say is “what will people say if you quit studying or working just to roam around, start being more responsible and stop this crazy talk.”(Parents! hmph *folding hands across her chest and tapping her feet *). I cannot travel to those beautiful places, but I can read about it instead. That is the beauty about good books and good authors; they can take us on board, and makes us feel like, we are part of their life.
I just read Lance Armstrong’s book, I must admit, one of the best books I have read in such a long time. When I started out reading it, to be honest all I knew was, he is Sheryl crow’s ex and he was a cyclist (yes, I am
naïve. We all have our moments!) , his book was such an inspiration, his take on the harsh reality of cycling in TOUR DE FRANCE and surviving cancer. OK, this is turning out to be one of those book reviews, but my point being, memories are powerful and reading about them can be such an experience. Not that I completely stopped reading fiction , I still do, but falling in love with vampires, and going to a wizard school, well… it’s just somebody’s imagination(sorry, twihards and potter fans) . The reality of a situation and the narration of one’s own life is quite refreshing; to know even celebrities, great leaders, world icons have had their share of struggles to overcome too.


I am starting to believe that, the books and music I have grown up with, defines my journey thus far. I grow, I evolve with every book and every song I listen to, and how subtly it influences my life. I started off reading Sweet Valley High , and listening to Backstreet Boys ,and Boyzone (fighting with my sister, on who liked nick or Steve!!!); moving on to the more “rebel” phase listening to hard rock and , rap ,and reading grotesque , bloody novels ; Presently I am on the “sane” phase(at least I think I am), I am enjoying good books, good food, good music ( from pop to heavy metal, but I draw the line on BSB and Britney spears oh ,oh, oh,.. I forgot, AQUA AND THEIR “I AM A BARBIE GIRL”! )
Who knows what’s next, I for one , don’t intend to know what I want to do in my next “phase”, that’s the beauty of life, maybe one of these autobiographies may influence me ,to be more spiritual or even believe in UFO’S , grey people and alien abductions. As of now, I am happy with my cup of chai, listening to john mayer doing what he does best- sing and play his guitar and write this blog.

P.S. thank you Nanditha Suresh ,Samira Syal and appa (buying me those books),for introducing me to the fabulous world of books and music. I owe you guys one!*hugs*

5 comments:

  1. Shobi, it is a very very very nice blog! I can't believe you write so beautifully!
    Hugs..All the best and I am looking forward to nice ones like this!
    PS: Ur punctuations still suck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks nandu, punctuations mmmmm...*embarrassed * i know :( am working on it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice blog.. well as u said its more better to read real life stories n related books than the one which take into the imaginative world.. though thats also needed sometimes.. and yea.. as u said.. the books or music or the people u spend time wid, definitely contributes towards defining yaself! i m glad u ve started readin such books.. n not the serial killing ones to end up gettin dreams about murdering n dieing..lol..

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this post! It's my favourite!

    Thanks for the mention ;)

    Oh and remind me to give you The Communist Manifesto! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. @mira- such a terrible post, i was reading it that day, found so many mistakes in it. U so deserve the mention sweety :)
    Gimme Gimme*britney's song style* gimme the communist manifesto ;)
    P.S- am hooked to britney*help*

    ReplyDelete

Aw, come on,leave me a comment.