Powered By Blogger

Monday, March 28

Social Experiment - In Theory& Lot of Practice.

Being a teenager is quite tricky , you have it going for you or you are in the bottom of the social pyramid, being in between is as good as being in the bottom, nothing good comes out of being in the middle. So, there are only two ways to it; you have either a very good one or a very bad one.This thought suddenly struck me when I was watching Hannah (boring) Montana , Lizzy McGuire and some other Disney original. The show's concept beats me,what are they trying to prove?Are they saying being ordinary is okay?spending money on clothes which is  totally  age inappropriate is okay?Worrying about a boyfriend or first kiss when they are 12 or 13 is okay?!Being a cheerleader or being popular is the end all in life?!Let me tell you this, Hillary Duff and Miley Cyrus are far from ordinary looking, I mean who are they kidding?!After I Laughed-Out-Loud about how stupid teenagers really were,I actually thought about it, cliques do exist, social pyramids are a reality.The pyramid according to me (or how it was in my school) is:
Top of the pyramid : Pretty girls/ good looking guys/dancers/singers/drama team (Duh! No surprise there!)
Second                   : Intelligent/ fathers with  high profile jobs/teacher's pets /debate team/creative types
Third                       : Geeks
Fourth                     : Rebels/I -am-way-too-misunderstood-by-this-world kinds.
Fifth                        : Goody-two-shoes/quiet
Lastly                       :Misfits 
All of us fit  into at least one of them or even multiple in some cases, but we were all part of it.My teen years, quite honestly, sucked .I was the ground the social pyramid existed. That Bad. I blame childhood obesity and my tom-boy image for this social exclusion, and probably few crappy school kids (who by the way, are my facebook "friends",  I might just be hated for this, but I wonder, if they even read anything remotely intelligent let alone my blog!) I must admit, I enjoyed teasing the hair-flipping-stupidly giggling-changing-nail polish-to-match -their-mood girls to I am too-intelligent-for- you-anyways kinda girls to I-will-break-your-bones-come-let's-play- mud-wrestling-during-recess boys to am so-in-love-with-(what's her name)-forever boys(they actually do hang out in groups, giggle together in groups, hair-flip in unison, and break each others bones),as much as I teased them,  I secretly did want to be  one of them.
I may sound sad in a very self-damaging way, but it was not as bad as I'm making it sound. Yes, it had it's very many bad days, but I did learn a few things along the way, it was not all paradise or all hell.I would not go back to my teens," sweet 16" was not so sweet, boys never liked girls who did not fit into the social pyramid,  me with a bob cu/acne-faced  is not something I wish to relive over and over again...Being a teenager is wayyyy  overrated. Social Exclusion had it's own price to pay for being different, and unique. I don't regret it one bit, am still a tom-boy at heart, a healthy girl,  doing my own thing, and still not part of a clique. How awesome is that?!
When I hear Bryan Adams sing, "Am gonna be 18 till I die", I cringe.

FYI-I don't  feel the same about turning 30, a wrinkle-faced me is not  going to be happy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Aw, come on,leave me a comment.